Tuesday, January 10, 2012

First Trip of the year

Adding yet another pleasurable long drive to my experience, I commenced this year's travel by doing my biannual trip to Mysore last weekend!

Mysore, being the city where my grandmother lives, is a place I frequent more than I visit other relatives who stay in Bangalore!

I was driving down to Mysore this time for two reasons... first, my grandmother who was visiting us needed a ride back home... second, I wanted to play with my cousin's German Shephard Dog, Rocky, who is just 7 months old.

My Twin, Rocky, and I
The last time I played with Rocky was in September 2011 and back then he was small enough for me to carry in my arms. Now, I was eager to see him fully grown and looked forward to spending all weekend playing with him.

The onward journey was slow and steady owing to the fact that my grandmother dislikes speeding. Anxious as she was, to sit through a journey of 3 hours, she forwent her afternoon nap concentrating on the highway traffic, while the westward sun glared intensely inside our car at 3.30 in the afternoon. We reached Mysore before dusk and the rest of the evening was uneventful.

My grandma watches as my
cousin tries to make Rocky jump.
Waking up to MS Subbulakshmi's Suprabatha blaring from the neighbor's house at 5am in the morning is one of those traits which remind you of Mysore’s archaic lifestyle. The wide tranquil streets of the Jayalakshmipuram area… the foggy weather every morning… are some peculiarities which define Mysore to me! I spent the day playing with Rocky.

I set out to Bangalore next morning at 8 so that I could beat the Sunday traffic on the Mysore-Bangalore Highway. Speaking Out of experience, the traffic from Mysore to Bangalore on Sunday evenings is massive. The average speed on the highway drops hugely much to my frustration.

The drive back to Bangalore was effortless with little traffic on the highway. I was home by 10.30.

No comments: